Tuesday, February 5, 2013

January aka The Adventure Month

At the end of Christmas break Matthew came up to me with this drawing he'd done for his teacher.  It's labeled just like the pictures they journal at school.


 We decorated his bedroom walls with some cool penguins and polar bear that my second grade teacher gave us.

 He discovered the windmill and climbed it...on a very windy day.



 A dog strayed in and Matthew fell in love with it.  This is Matthew and Buster.  After 2 weeks we found Buster's owners and he went home.

 It was an adventure on the trail with 4 dogs.  In fact we met some other people and dogs on the trail and 2 decided to stay after we left.  It was so embarrassing.

 A rabbit got trapped in my parents basement.  It stripped all the bark off my hibiscus and mowed it down to stubs.  I think it's dead.  It ate all my amaryllis bulbs and other various plants over wintering in the basement.  I'm heartbroken.

 Matthew announced one cold day that we were going to have an adventure.  He packed his backpack with water and applesauce for 3 and off we went to explore the creek bank.

 The water is so low that in places it's completely dried up and we can walk across.  We went up down and around.  A great workout I'm sure.

 Across the creek we found a deep ravine coming off the field.

 It had flamingo colored feathers in it to collect.

 And a tree that Matthew and I are sure trolls live in with their pet hedgehog, just like in the Jan Brett stories.

And then we found fungi.  I think it looks so cool.

All month he has had basketball clinic every Sunday afternoon.



At the end of the month he decided to do a project.

And give it to his teacher, of course.  She's getting all the best stuff.  I'm starting to get a little jealous.

The last day of January, picture day, he decided to dress like a cowboy.  He came down complete with curling ribbon whiskers, the real authentic cowboy look.  *Correction, after Matthew saw the picture, he reminded me that he was trying to be Sheriff Shadrack from the Animated Alphabet series.  And he decided the curling ribbon whiskers weren't really presenting the image he was trying to project.

5 comments:

  1. hahaha! LOVE those whiskers! so sorry about your plants. :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Kirsten! Can't wait to see you blogging again. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful nature walk! love the fungus too. (Does he have a crush on Teacher? He's growing up sooo FAST.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love all the photos and stories too!
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  5. Susan, I don't think he does, but he likes her an awful lot. He's getting big too fast.

    Mom, thanks!

    ReplyDelete