Monday, June 10, 2013

Ella Elizabeth

 There comes a time in everyone's life that they lose their grandparents.  Two of my grandparents had passed before I was even born.  At 4, I lost my Granddad.  Today in the small hours of the morning, my 95 year old Grandmom slipped away.  I've had her all my life telling me stories, sharing wisdom, giving advice.  It feels very weird to realize I will never see her again. Here is some photos I have of her on my computer in no particular order.  Above me with my Grandmom and Auntie in 1985.

 Halloween 2007  My Grandmom with my Mom and Matthew

 Thanksgiving 2007

 Valentines Day 2008  She was so pleased to be a Great-Grandmom and hold Matthew like she held me.  (I'm the only grandchild she got.)

 Graduation from HS
 Fall of 1950 holding my baby Auntie with my 3 yr old Mom.  She loved her girls.  Awhile after my Grandfather Russel died, she married my Grandpa, a wonderful guy that was also a widower.  He had 4 wonderful children that she loved very much, but I don't have photos of them on my computer.

Christmas in the nursing home, 2009.

Christmas 2012   Last photo of me with her.  Too bad my phone blurred it.

Christmas 2012

Last Mother's Day with her daughters and family.  2013

Towards the end of her life, she didn't talk much and was very often confused.  In a way, for the last 2 years we've been saying goodbye.  Finally getting to go home was probably a big blessing.  She had buried most of her friends, all her siblings and their spouses, a nephew, 2 husbands, and 3 stepchildren that she all loved very much.  It was time.

But I love that I captured some of those rare times that she was on, loving life and her family.  I miss you already and love you forever.   May 2013

3 comments:

  1. Dear, precious Anne, thank you for the beautiful photos and memories of your Grandmom. What a wonderful tribute. I am smiling through my tears!
    Love,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so sorry to hear this. I know she was very special to you. You know I'm always here for you and I'm just a phone call away if you need to talk. Love you!

    Jenny

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mom, thank you. :)

    Jenny, thank you so much. I may be calling very soon. Miss you, hope everything is going well where you are.

    ReplyDelete