Saturday, August 17, 2013

Back to School and 24 weeks

 1st grade!  Already!  Back to School night was Tues. the 13th and Matthew was very excited to go meet his new teacher that plays guitar.

 Matthew with Mr. England.  I'd say he was very lucky to get in his class, not that all the 1st grade teachers aren't great, but male teachers aren't plentiful in our district.

 Thursday the 15th was the first day for both of us.  Well, I'd been to meetings, but still first day of school.  The first day photo the Momma way.  Last year's photo here.

 And the Matthew way.  A side note, Matthew got my Mom to sew the fringe on his jeans so he could look like a real cowboy.  I saw him and thought rodeo cowboy.  Except with tennis shoes.  Gotta get him some new boots!

 Matthew took one of me the Matthew way.  *photo by Matthew

 It was also 24 weeks for the baby.  So us and the baby front...

...and sideways!  Matthew is already the best big brother, always looking for something his baby brother needs.  Today we went to 2 yard sales and he picked out a pair of tiny crocs, cowboy overalls, and a t-shirt that the baby really needed.  So of course I took his expert advice and bought the $1 worth of must haves.

So far, so good.  Matthew is loving 1st grade.  He rides the bus home.  First time ever.  He was very excited and then accidently got confused and tried to go around the bus the wrong way.  It made him not want to ride anymore, but he has little friends to sit with, which has made it more fun.  His teacher has a lending library in the room, so he's brought a book home both days.  Both days, Mr. England played the guitar.  Last night was the Back to School concert and Mr. England's band played.  We all enjoyed it. 

As for me, I'm tickled pink that since I have 8 bus riders this year to drop off at 2 different locations (3 that all went to the same location last yr.) I get back too late to do the 1st MIRP group I was assigned.  This means I only have one to deal with and I'm feeling optimistic that this year with go better with the middle schoolers and me.  I have a new preschool teacher and a whole new curriculum we are introducing.  (So far every teacher I've been an aide for has retired at the end of the year.  I wonder if it's me...)  It is very very hectic, but I think it will be great.  Afterschool is marching along like it always does.  I expect it to be the same.  Sometimes that's a good thing.  So far my energy is keeping up with the pace.  Next week being a full week will be the real test.  I may be totally fried by Friday and I can't have coffee to cope!

1 comment:

  1. I love the school pics and the one of the mud puddle. Matthew did a great job taking your first day of school picture! As one of the teachers who retired after a year with you--what can I say? LOL Definitely wasn't YOU as the reason. Quit working with the older teachers and you'll be fine!
    Love you,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete